Saturday, August 22, 2015

Friends and Family

Shelly and I (temporarily) parted ways at Northern Kennedy meadows. She needed some time off trail so we decided to meet back up at South Lake Tahoe. It was about three days from Sonora to Tahoe which meant we would be without Shelly for only a couple days.

Nathan and I were given a ride from the people at Camp Awesome up to Sonora Pass. We got back on trail around 6pm and pounded out 5 miles. On the way to our campsite we were treated to a gorgeous sunset. A beam of golden light was cutting across the canyon and slowly drifting up the hillside as the evening darkened. Both Nathan and I were awestruck and elated at the same time. The rush to our campsite became a little less frantic as we laughed and sang our way down the trail. 



That evening we camped with Macgyver, a hiker we met in Yosemite. The three of us ate our dinner as the yellow alpenglow of the sunset faded into a deep red on the edge of the horizon. After dinner I sang the boys my favorite James Taylor song and we all went to our tents. Spirits were high. It felt good to be back on trail. 

The next morning Nathan and I left very early so we could catch Loverboy on the trail. The elevation for the day wasn't terrible so we decided to pull a long one- about 25 miles. We caught Loverboy and Riderdieh around 11 am and the laughs started flowing. Both Ride and Loverboy are hilarious guys with infectious energy. They are the kind of people who remind you why you are on the PCT. So naturally, Nathan and I were extremely excited to have caught up to those two. 





We hiked as a group for the rest of the day and set up our tents in a giant campsite on a sheltered ridge line. Nathan and I spent a while trying to convince the other two to stay with us there even though they had less miles under their belts for the day than us. Finally we got to them and they stayed! More hiker friends showed up and by the end of the night there was a big group of us sitting around the fire watching Loverboy trying to make biscuits and gravy. That was one of my favorite nights on trail. Everyone was happy and talkative. The jokes kept coming and the laughs didn't stop. We were with some amazing people. Those are the nights I live for on the PCT. 

Nathan and I decided to log even more miles the next day. We planned to go 27 miles, which was the longest mileage for me thus far. We got up and out early again and the miles started flying by. We crossed craggy hillsides and flower-filled meadows. It was clear that we were in a transition zone; the forest was slowly giving way to sagebrush steppe. Nathan and I saw each other off and on all day as we churned through our mileage. We had a great pace set but unfortunately that meant we didn't see Loverboy or Ride all day. By the time we reached camp it was clear that we had lost our hiker friends. It wasn't a complete loss, however, because we met a new hiker named Jellybean. 




After a night of good food (mountain house meals) and great company, Nathan and I awoke well rested and ready to be in South Lake Tahoe. It was just over 20 miles from our campsite to the state highway. Both of us were itching to get to town so we headed out early. The knowledge that my parents were waiting for me at the end of the day was what spurred me on. I was very excited to see my family and all I wanted was hugs from my folks. 



I practically ran those 20 miles.But along the way, we encountered some trail magic. Early in the morning we crossed a highway near a visitor center. The volunteers there maintain a cooler of food and drinks for hikers that includes watermelon, tomatoes, brownies, root beer, strawberries, and other delicious goodies. I was in a hurry to get to Tahoe but the food sucked me into a trail magic vortex (this happens a lot). After signing the logbook, eating my food, and buying a Smokey Bear tshirt, I set out for the final stretch. It was mostly downhill after the road so I started jogging. At this point my feet were aching and the sun was blazing overheard but it did not slow me down. I powered up steep ridgelines and flew down rocky staircases to the Echo Lake trailhead. As I rounded a corner about .25 miles before the parking area, I saw my mom and dad waiting with Shelly and Nathan.



I'll be honest, I teared up a bit. I was grinning ear to ear as a I walked down to give mom a hug. All of the aches and pains in my body just melted away. I was back with my favorite people in the world and nothing could spoil the moment. I can't convey how meaningful it is to see family when you have been on trail for a while. The trail breaks you down physically and mentally everyday until you are completely and utterly exhausted. The people who make you feel most at ease and relaxed are far away. You have no safe place to run to and no comfort zone to retreat back to. It is you and the trail. Oftentimes it feels like it is you versus the trail. So when the opportunity arises to see your family, its your golden ticket to complete self-renewal. The curative powers of a hug from your parents are endless.



After the reunion on trail, we hopped in the car and drove down to South Lake Tahoe. We settled into a hotel and then decided dinner was in order, which meant beer was in order. So we went to a German-style bier haus. The beer was awesome and the food was delicious (potatoes on potatoes on potatoes).



The next day was spent running errands and exploring Tahoe. We went to a swanky country club (because we are hiker class not hiker trash), jumped in Lake Tahoe, and visited the local outfitting shop. In the afternoon we moved our stuff into the house my parents rented. WE HAD A HOUSE! The level of excitement was through the roof when we saw the place. It was gorgeous on the inside. And the carpet was heavenly on our sore feet. It was awesome to have a space for ourselves that we didn't have to share with anyone else. In other words, my parents are AWESOME :)






We settled in quickly and invited some other hikers up to the house. Loverboy and Heather came up along with a French hiker named Damian. Mom treated us all to homemade lasagna and then surprised me with my favorite beer in the world: mountain man from the Front brewing company. My parents are amazing! It was the coolest surprise I have ever gotten on trail. (Thanks to Jeff for bringing it back from MT!) 



The next day was a fairly uneventful zero day. We lounged around, prepped our food, and ran some errands. That evening we got to host more hiker friends. Bean, Two Wars, Mike, and Fly Free/Sweet Tea showed up for a big stir fry dinner. Shelly and the rest of the gang made my parents a wonderful meal with different fried rice and other delicious things. It was heavenly. To top off the evening we watched a movie in the living room until everyone went to bed. It was an awesome night.

Our very early wake up call came too soon the next day. We cleaned up and left the house by around 7:30 in the morning. It was time to say goodbye to our hiker house and the city of South Lake Tahoe. It was also time to say goodbye to my parents. That was pretty tough for me but I knew I would see them again soon. Afterall, I am hiking home.

So, to get all sappy and sentimental, I would like to dedicate this post to all of the friends and family who are out there supporting our adventure. Whether it is boxes of food, letters, or just hugs and love over the phone, we love the support from the people back home. This adventure is not only for us but also for you all. So thank you. For the late night phone calls, the silly birthday cards, the food in the mail, the car rides, the oranges and soda, the hugs, the love.

Here's to you, friends and family! Thanks to all!

-Smokey




No comments:

Post a Comment