Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Borderline Goodbyes

We made it to Timberline Lodge!


After a good night sleep we awoke to a very unpleasant sight: it was storming outside. Nobody wanted to go out there. We decided to wait a while and see if the weather would let up. It didn't. It got worse. So we decided it was a zero day at the Lodge! I spent a lot of time sleeping and updating social media. We mainly just sat around for a while. Later in the day we got a huge surprise-Loverboy and Dad showed up! Oh goodness it was great to see them. I didn't think I would see either of them again so I was very stoked to see some of our missing pack members.

As we were trying to figure out sleeping arrangements for the night, I was approached by another guest at the Lodge. He graciously offered to cover the costs of our room and dinner. We were astounded at his generosity and we took him up on his offer. Bob Johnson will go down in infamy as the most epic trail angel we have ever encountered. He took trail magic to new heights and he is a legend to the Wolf Pack. We were given a free room and he covered a VERY delicious steak and wine dinner at the Cascade Dining Room. We were in shock. The food was so good and we were so happy. That night we were truly hiker class, not hiker trash.















The next morning the sun was shining and we were ready to go. Shelly didn't stay for breakfast but Nathan and I went upstairs and ate some great food before heading out. I got on trail around 9 a.m. and was instantly greeted by an amazing view of Mt. Hood. We hadn't gotten to see the mountain yet because of the clouds. It had a fresh layer of snow on it and it looked ready for ski season!

It was gorgeous the whole morning. Every corner brought a better view of the mountain. The sun shining through the trees gave the air a yellow glow. The soaked undergrowth was steaming in the sunlight. The day was one for the ages.

The day went on and I didn't see anyone. I thought I would've caught Shelly by then but I saw no one. Eventually Vanish caught me and she had the same concern. Where the heck was everyone? We kept going up a brutal climb and finally I ran into Riderdieh. He told me everyone had done the Ramona Falls alternate and somehow Vanish and I didn't get the memo. Oops. I felt terrible. I had wanted to hike with Shelly but I managed to mess that up. You win some, you lose some...

Feeling rather sheepish I walked the last 5 miles to camp. On the way, Shelly and Nathan caught me. So at least I was back with my two compadres. The last couple miles were a joy. It was cold and getting close to dusk but I managed to catch a glimpse of something I had been waiting to see for many months: Mt. Rainier. Way off in the distance, beyond Adams and St. Helens, was The Mountain. I burst into joyous tears. I was finally close to home! It felt so good to be looking at a familiar sight. I walked into camp with a grin on my face.

That evening we enjoyed s'mores around the fire. We did Highs and Lows and everyone went to bed happy. We were all excited to reach Washington the next day.

We woke early and got ready to go. Nathan, Shelly, and I waited for Matt and Wright so we could hike with them. It was a special day and we wanted to be together. The reason for the special occasion wasn't just the Bridge of the Gods at the border, it was also Shelly's last day on trail.

Yes, Shelly was going home at Cascade Locks. This section was her last section. I won't get into why she was leaving. I will leave that to her. This post will include entries from both of us. So, I will leave it here and let her talk about our day at Eagle Creek and the Bridge. -Smokey
------              -----------      ----------         -----------           -----------     ------------        ---------    -------

Hello!

Last day on trail! I decided to leave the trail at Cascade Locks because I was sick of these folks... :) In all seriousness, I have always enjoyed hiking and nature, but my true passion has been serving others. The trail helped me focus my passion and focus on a career. I have decided to go into Occupational Therapy (OT). In order to do this, school applications have to be sent in, and they must include the GRE, job shadowing, and essays galore. Unfortunately for me, the application deadline rapidly approached and I had to decided between finishing the trail with these wonderful people or getting the chance to go to school for my passion. The trail took a little longer than we thought, and I left a few things undone before I left so I didn't see a way I could do both. Obviously I went with the latter option. It was not an easy decision. Emily and I started planning this trip so long ago, and planned it with full intention of finishing together. The people we met along the way became family, and the atmosphere of the trail is better than most things in regular life. It was heart breaking to say the least, but I was determined to enjoy the trip I had, and hopefully talk some people into doing Washington again in a year or so. :)



Anywho, the trail.
We woke up and froze our butts off waiting for Matt and Wright to get ready. Wright had not gotten into camp until 10 or 11pm that night, and was struggling in the morning. But I asked if we could walk together, and everyone was kind enough to let that happen. Vanish took off because we would catch up to her soon.


The trail was kind enough to give amazing views the whole day. We snacked on a ridge with views of St. Helens, Rainier, and Adams. We bathed in the sunlight, and went down to the Eagle Creek Alternate. It is supposed to be one of the better alternates. We dropped elevation quick, and went into a beautiful gorge. Streams, waterfalls, and beautiful plant life. Eventually, we made it to tunnel falls. Where we walk behind a huge waterfall. We decided to have lunch there. Dad and Loverboy caught up to us here. Dad then gave us a present from our amazing trail angel Bob Johnson. He had sent a little surprise for the rest of our trip. Dinner was yet again on Bob Johnson. :)

After lunch, it was time to get into town. Emily's parents graciously offered to give me a ride back to their home in Olympia. So we needed to meet them that night. We had taken our time most of the day, but it was time. The alternate into town was very confusing, but eventually we made it. Right before town we caught a glimpse of The Bridge of the Gods. It was beautiful. We had made it to Washington.




When we got into town, Emily and I took a side detour to the bridge...who could resist? After a couple pictures we met with her parents and had some delicious Nachos. Everyone met at the bar, and had a beer. It was a great time. Then the time came to leave. Tears. Tears. and more Tears. I can't explain how hard it is to say goodbye to such a wonderful group of people. We had been to the top of Mt. Whitney together, and now to the lowest point on the trail. We have been through the hottest days, of hiding under a tin roof with flies everywhere to huddling by a fire for warmth. So saying goodbye was tough. I don't have the words to express how sad I was leaving. Sometimes I got called mom on the trail, and sometimes I took that role. So leaving my kids who I have watched grow exponential amounts on the trail was hard. But even though I didn't finish with them, they will always have a special place in my heart. Emily was kind enough to share a tent with me every day. Being on this trail is hard enough, but having to put up with someone on this trail everyday can be 100x harder. But I can't think of anyone else I could have done it with.

I would like to have an artfully worded goodbye or something zippy to say but I don't. I am just insanely grateful for the people and the experience. The PCT is something I will always remember. I told Nathan one day, this will be an amazing memory, but right now my whole body hurts and I never want to move. That pretty much sums up the PCT. The highs are higher than anything, and the lows are pretty darn low. The scenery is beautiful, but the people are the only reason you make it through. So thank you Wolf Pack for dragging me 2,000+ miles. I hope we get together again to hike a few more miles.

-Shelly/ Queen B out
------------------           ------------------             -----------------          --------------------        ---------------

Smokey's post: 

Well we made it to Cascade Locks! And this a bittersweet moment for all of us. I can't believe that Shelly is leaving. 

This section of this post isn't about our hiking. It isn't about the miles or what we saw on our way to the border. It's about Shelly. And before I begin, let me say that my post may seem somewhat jumbled. This is because writing this is hard. Coming to terms with the loss of my hiking partner is very hard. So, forgive me if at times my thoughts are sporadic. I'm having a rough time writing this. 


Let me tell you about Shelly Bruecken. She is one of five children, she is from Iowa, and she is hoping to become an occupational therapist. Shelly has brown hair, a great smile, and a fun personality. All these things describe her but they don't tell you who she really is. 
Shelly is much more. 

She is level-headed, gracious, caring, good-hearted, spunky, generous, genuine, and kind. She is an amazing human being. She positively influences those around her and she embodies goodness in all she does. She is a perfect picture of the human spirit-one of those people that you meet who you just know is good. Good souled, good hearted. Hiking with this amazing person has been a wonderful adventure. Shelly has shared some of my highest highs and lowest lows. She stood by me as I sobbed in the middle of the desert. She huddled in a tent with me in a rainstorm in the Sierras. She climbed Mt. Whitney with me. She walked 2,100 miles with me. 

That girl is the reason I am still going. I would not have gotten this far without her support and encouragement. 




I am so sad she is leaving. I want to cross the border with her. But, I know that sometimes there are more important things than the trail. Home is where she needs to be. So, although I am sad, I am also very happy to see her going off to pursue her passion. 

This is going to be a very difficult goodbye. But luckily I know I will see her again when we go on some new crazy adventure. 
So here is to Shelly! An amazing hiking partner, a dear friend, and a fantastic human being. May the trail always provide for you. May you always remember the Wolfpack. May the trail of life take you to new and amazing places. And may the people you meet along the way be as wonderful and genuine as the ones we have met on our journey. 

Here's to you Shelly Bruecken aka Queen B aka Trail Mom aka Yonce. Thank you for everything. 

-Smokey 
9/20/15


No comments:

Post a Comment