Friday, October 16, 2015

Portlandia


Bend was awesome but town time was over and we needed to get back on trail. Mr. Mack piled us in the car and dropped us off at the Shelter Cove trailhead. We got on the trail later than we planned but at least we were back! Vanish, LB, and I left most of the group at the trailhead and headed out to crush some miles. I passed Vanish and eventually made it a few miles to a lake. I wanted to stop but it was too early in the day. I kept going and soon I passed LB who decided to hike with me for a while. We chatted for a long time while we walked until we made it to a ski cabin. I normally don’t want to stop unless I am hungry or hurting but I got very excited when I saw the roof of the cabin. Is that a place with a roof and chairs and a table?? Sign me up! So I made a beeline off trail and LB followed. The cabin was very cool. It had solar lighting, a fully stocked woodpile, and outdoor fire pit, and a dining table and chairs. Overall, a really great spot to have lunch. LB and I chilled there for a while. Then Vanish and Wright showed up. We all enjoyed our lunch, LB took a short nap, and I explored outside. We left the cabin and found the rest of the group hanging out nearby on the trail. We decided there to cut the day short. We went to a lake several miles away where we found an awesome spot to make camp. That evening we sat around the fire eating our dinner. Everyone was happy. There was laughter and joking and enjoyment had by all. But in the back of our minds we knew this was end of something special. This was the last night we would all sit around the fire together, all nine of us. The wolf pack was about to separate.



The next morning we had a 30 mile day ahead of us. To the north was the Sisters Wilderness area. This meant we were getting closer to Timberline Lodge and the Bridge of the Gods. But first- 30 miles. Well, an attempt at 30 miles. No one was very energetic that morning. It was going to be a long day. So we trudged along through burned areas and past dried up lakes. The area was beautiful. It was very apparent, however, that Oregon was still in a drought. 




Around lunchtime we breaked at a lake. It was Shelly, Wright, Dad, LB, and I in the group at that point. Matt and Nathan were somewhere further ahead and Cityslicker and Vanish were behind us. It was a late lunch and no one felt like doing the rest of the 30 mile day. We decided to get to the next water source, where we expected to find the two boys, and convince them to cut the day short.

When we arrived at the stream later that evening the boys weren't there. They had clearly gone the whole distance. Loverboy decided to stay at that water source and Shelly, Wright, Dad, and Vanish went another two miles. Eventually City showed up and I stayed with him and LB at the stream. The Wolf Pack had begun to split.

We knew coming out of Bend that this was going to happen. It didn't quite sink in just how difficult the break would be until it happened. We had been hiking with all of these amazing people for over 1000 miles. Matt and Wright had been with us since mile 100! So naturally I was having a very hard time processing the situation. To me it felt as if I had to choose between my friends because some wanted to go slow and others wanted to go fast. How could I possibly make that decision? Either way it was a loss. And to add to my emotional chaos, I needed to consider Shelly. It was her last week on trail so her needs were, in my mind, much greater than mine. I wanted her time to be special. I didn't want to push a plan of action on her based on my wants. So, with my head reeling with confusion and sadness, I went to bed with the resolve to catch Shelly early and make a plan.

The next day I left the water very early and practically ran 8 miles to catch up to the group. After I caught them, Shelly and I spent the next several miles talking about the Wolf Pack, our planned mileage, and what we wanted to do. It was a long conversation and luckily I was behind Shelly so she couldn't see me tearing up. We decided we had 3 options: Go slow with LB and City, go fast with the boys and Vanish, or slow down and take a side trip to Portland. We decided on Portland because that seemed to have the best outcome for both of us. This let us slow down and spend some time with Loverboy and City, it gave Shelly the chance to see Portland for the first time, and it still let us meet the boys at Timberline Lodge.




Once this was decided Shelly hiked off and I took a nap. We met back up at Obsidian Creek Falls, an amazing spot littered with black obsidian glinting in the afternoon sun. It was there that we said goodbye to Vanish, Wright, and Matt for a few days. They would continue hiking to Timberline and we would meet them there after our Portland adventure. We would camp with LB and Dad that night and say goodbye to them in the morning.

The last 7 miles were gorgeous. It was as if Oregon was telling us we had made the right decision. We left the obsidian field and hiked through ancient forests and huge lava flows. As the sun began to sink low in the sky I found myself climbing up a wall of hardened lava. Hiking through the blackened rock was surreal. To the north stretched the rest of Oregon's mountains and to the west the lava flow disappeared into a sea of green trees. The sun was glowing on the dark rock, giving the ground below me a reddish hue. I was suddenly calm again. All the anguish I had felt the night before and during the morning was gone. The PCT once again reminded me to stop and take a moment, to breath deep and accept the present for what it was: beautiful. I stood there and took it all in. The sunset over the ridgeline, the alpenglow on the mountains in the distance. What a place, what an adventure. I had come to terms with where Shelly and I were headed and who we were leaving. Its not about having the people you care about be with you every step of the way. It is about carrying their spirit with you. Keeping them close in your thoughts and in your heart. Knowing they have changed you for the better. So, yes we were saying goodbye to some of our friends but that was okay. Perhaps we would see them again and if not, they wouldn't be gone from our memories.






That evening in camp Shelly and I sat around the fire as darkness fell. It was just the two of us for the first time. We sat in silence and listened to music as the flames danced in front of us. Dad and LB arrived later in the evening. All of us raved about the sunset and the lava fields. Everyone had enjoyed the last several miles. After dinner and some talking we said goodnight. In the morning Shelly and I woke up Loverboy and said goodbye. We also found that City had made it to camp very late at night so we said farewell to him. With the hugging and goodbyes done we hiked the 7 miles to Lava Camp where we met my parents! They had been camping a couple hours away and graciously came to pick us up. Needless to say they are the best trail angels ever. We piled in the truck and headed back to Champoeg State Park to get their trailer. They took us back to my house and I got to see my Gma and the Haughtons! Woohoo!!


In the morning my gramma drove us to the train station and we enjoyed a leisurely ride to Portland. When we arrived we made a beeline for some food. Burritos, beer, and a shot at 11 AM? Yes please! We spent the day exploring. Alex, my college roomie met up with us and we hung out with her for a while. The three of us went to Voodoo Donuts, a barcade, and Powells bookstore. We grabbed a bus pass and said goodbye to Alex for the day. The plan was to meet back up with her the next day. Shelly had found us a cool air B&B so we went there and relaxed for a bit. Then Shelly got a phone call from Section F! They were coming to Portland and wanted to get Thai food! Hell yah! So we met up with Section, Riderdieh, and Cassidy for some awesome Thai food and icecream! After getting dessert at the Salt & Straw (an amazing icecream shop), Section said goodbye. She and Cass were headed home to Cali. It was a sad goodbye but I'm sure we will run into her again. Atleast I hope so because Section is awesome and tons of fun. 




 






















For our next Portland day Shelly and I did all the things. We went to Alberta St, Mississippi Ave, got more donuts at Blue Star, went cider tasting, met Alex for food and a hookah session, and got beer with Ride. Basically, we painted the town red. It was an epic day full of good food and good people. We even got a hitch from a bartender at the end of the night. Even when you're off trail, the PCT always provides.




















With our escapades and adventuring over, Shelly, Ride, and I got back on trail the next day. We were dropped 5 miles south of Timberline Lodge with fresh legs and an itch to kill some miles. On our ascent we saw Nathan who was close to finishing a 32 mile day! Ouch! So, the four of us plugged up the hill and arrived at the Lodge as darkness fell. We got a room inside right as the others showed up. We all fell asleep tired and happy to be back together again.

-Smokey


No comments:

Post a Comment